Pâté en croûte with Apple and Fig Chutney
- 1 meat-based pâté en croûte (or pâté in a pie crust)
- 250 g (1 2/3 cups) figs, fresh or frozen
- 1 apple (Granny Smith variety)
- 60 g (2/3 cup) icing sugar
- 70 ml (5 tbsp.) cider vinegar (or raspberry)
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp.) ground cinnamon
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp.) ground ginger
- Freshly ground pepper and salt
- Clean the figs (if they are fresh) or thaw them, as appropriate. Cut them into pieces.
- Wash, peel and dice the apple.
- Place the fruits in a saucepan with the icing sugar, vinegar, spices and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for at least another 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Cut the pâté en croûte into thin slices and serve with the apple and fig chutney.