- 1 flammekueche (Alsatian tarte flambée, or “flame cake”)
- 0.75 L (3 cups) red wine
- 120 g (1 ¼ cups) icing sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 smaller-sized pears (of the Comice variety)
- In a saucepan, pour the red wine, add the sugar, spices and previously scraped vanilla bean, then bring to a boil.
- Wash and peel the pears. Place them in the saucepan and leave to cook on low heat for about 1 hour, turning them regularly.
- Slice the pears into thin strips.
- Cook the flammekueche according to package instructions and cut it into several pieces.
- Place a spiced wine-flavoured pear strip on each piece.